Nova FFE request for get scheduler hints API
Day, Phil
2013-09-12 12:40:26 UTC
Hi Folks,

I'd like the following change to be considered for an FFE please: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/34291/

This change adds a capability that was agreed as needed at the Havana design summit, is functionally complete (including the corresponding python-novaclient support (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/38847/), and has been through many review cycles since it was first posted in June. The change includes both V2 and V3 api changes.

The only remaining review comment at the point when it got hit by FF was whether it was appropriate for this change to introduce a secheduler/api.py layer rather than following the existing (and exceptional) process of calling the scheduler/rpcapi.py methods directly. Since this is the first query to call (rather than cast) into the scheduler it seems to me a sensible abstraction to add, and makes the scheduler consistent with all other services in Nova.

The change is low risk in that it only adds a new query path to the scheduler, and does not alter any existing code paths.

Thanks for the consideration,
Phil
Gary Kotton

Phil
Thierry Carrez
2013-09-12 13:39:24 UTC
Post by Day, Phil
[...]
The change is low risk in that it only adds a new query path to the
scheduler, and does not alter any existing code paths.
[...]
At this point the main issue with this is the distraction it would
generate (it still needs a bit of review to clear the last comments) as
well as add to the docs and test work. I fail to see how including this
is essential to the success of the Havana release, so the trade-off
doesn't look worth it to me.

I'm happy to be overruled by Russell if he thinks that extra feature is
worth the limited disruption it would cause.
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Day, Phil
2013-09-12 15:27:35 UTC
I don't think it needs any more reviewing - just a couple of +2's (but I could be biased) :-)

Phil
Russell Bryant
2013-09-13 03:02:59 UTC
Post by Thierry Carrez
Post by Day, Phil
[...]
The change is low risk in that it only adds a new query path to the
scheduler, and does not alter any existing code paths.
[...]
At this point the main issue with this is the distraction it would
generate (it still needs a bit of review to clear the last comments) as
well as add to the docs and test work. I fail to see how including this
is essential to the success of the Havana release, so the trade-off
doesn't look worth it to me.
I'm happy to be overruled by Russell if he thinks that extra feature is
worth the limited disruption it would cause.
I like this feature and I really do want it to go in, but I have the
same concern. We don't have *that* much time to produce the RC1 bug
list and get everything fixed. I think we need to place the bar really
high at this point for any further distractions from that. Hopefully we
can get this in early in Icehouse, at least.
Russell Bryant
Jason Zhang
2013-09-12 18:29:49 UTC
Hi Dears,

In the documenthttps://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide
<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide>under the'Get
an initial VMDK to work with',
its said, 'There are a lot of "gotchas" around what VMDK disks work with
OpenStack + vSphere,'.
The appendix section lists one of the gotchas. Are there any more gotchas?

During our testing, the vmdk instance on boot-up gives a 'Operating
System not found' error,
I am not sure whether this is a already known issue or not.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jason
Dan Wendlandt
2013-09-12 19:48:11 UTC
Hi Jason,

The best place to look is the official openstack compute documentation that
covers vSphere in Nova:
http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/vmware.html

In particular, check out the section titled "Images with VMware vSphere"
(pasted below). As that text suggests, the most likely issue with your
VMDK not booting is that you may have passed the wrong vmware_adaptertype
to glance when creating the image. Also note the statement indicating that
all VMDK images must be "flat" (i.e., single file), otherwise Glance will
be confused.

Dan

Images with VMware vSphere

When using either VMware driver, images should be uploaded to the OpenStack
Image Service in the VMDK format. Both thick and thin images are currently
supported and all images must be flat (i.e. contained within 1 file). For
example

To load a thick image with a SCSI adaptor:

$ glance image-create name="ubuntu-thick-scsi" disk_format=vmdk
container_format=bare \
is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" \
--property vmware_disktype="preallocated" \
--property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < ubuntuLTS-flat.vmdk

To load a thin image with an IDE adaptor:

$ glance image-create name="unbuntu-thin-ide" disk_format=vmdk
container_format=bare \
is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="ide" \
--property vmware_disktype="thin" \
--property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < unbuntuLTS-thin-flat.vmdk

The complete list of supported vmware disk properties is documented in the
Image Management section. It's critical that the adaptertype is correct; In
fact, the image will not boot with the incorrect adaptertype. If you have
the meta-data VMDK file the the ddb.adapterType property specifies the
adaptertype. The default adaptertype is "lsilogic" which is SCSI.
Post by Jason Zhang
Hi Dears,
In the document https://wiki.openstack.org/**
wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide<https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide>
under the 'Get an initial VMDK to work with',
its said, 'There are a lot of “gotchas” around what VMDK disks work with
OpenStack + vSphere,'.
The appendix section lists one of the gotchas. Are there any more gotchas?
During our testing, the vmdk instance on boot-up gives a 'Operating System
not found' error,
I am not sure whether this is a already known issue or not.
Thanks in advance!
Best regards,
Jason
Dan Wendlandt
Nicira, Inc: www.nicira.com
twitter: danwendlandt
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Zhang
2013-09-13 23:09:47 UTC
Hi Dan,

Thank you very much for your reply.
?
We tested again and it still does not work, can you give more
information about how the vmdk's were created?
?I.e the tool used to create the debian and trend vmdk's listed here
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Glance_Initial_Setup
?
Using qemu-img convert to convert a qcow2 or raw image to vmdk doesn't
seem to work, for example, by using??
qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vmdk <input-file.qcow2> <output-file.vmdk>
??The command always converts to a vmdk which is of adapter type 'ide'
other than lsilogic.?

We modified the adapter type to lsilogic and uploading it to glance by
using,

glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
--container-format=bare --is-public=true --property
vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic --property vmware_disktype=thin --property
vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest < output-file.vmdk
or
glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
--container-format=bare --is-public=true --property
vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic --property vmware-disktype="preallocated"
--property vmware_disktype=thin --property vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest <
output-file.vmdk

doesn't seem to work. Even after tying the steps
under https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Appendix??

It seems the patch to convert into a scsi disk, has not been merged
yet: https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/545089
?
Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jason
Vui Chiap Lam
2013-09-16 08:13:01 UTC
Hi Jason,

What happens if you forgo the converting to lsilogic, and instead upload the disk to glance as an ide disk (using --property vmware_adaptertype=ide)?

Also, just reiterating the docs and Dan's comments,

After obtaining a sparse ide vmdk from "qemu-img convert", due to a bug in the VMware nova driver, you need to convert the vmdk to a thin or preallocated disk.
You can do this one of the following tools:
- vmkfstools.pl referenced in the DeveloperGuide Appendix
- vmkfstools directly if you can ssh into an ESX machine
- vmware-vdiskmanager (comes bundled with VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation)
(e.g. '/Applications/VMware Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager' -r our_sparse_ide.vmdk -t 4 converted.vmdk
After this step you should have a converted .vmdk and a converted -flat.vmdk.
At this point converted -flat.vmdk (not the descriptor file converted .vmdk) can be uploaded to with --property vmware_adaptertype=ide as an ide image

If this works, we can worry about converting the disk to SCSI next.

Regards,
Vui

> [...]

| | container_format=bare \
|
| | is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="lsiLogic" \
|
| | --property vmware_disktype="preallocated" \
|
| | --property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < ubuntuLTS-flat.vmdk
|

| | To load a thin image with an IDE adaptor:
|
| | $ glance image-create name="unbuntu-thin-ide" disk_format=vmdk
| | container_format=bare \
|
| | is_public=true --property vmware_adaptertype="ide" \
|
| | --property vmware_disktype="thin" \
|
| | --property vmware_ostype="ubuntu64Guest" < unbuntuLTS-thin-flat.vmdk
|

| | The complete list of supported vmware disk properties is documented in the
| | Image Management section. It's critical that the adaptertype is correct; In
| | fact, the image will not boot with the incorrect adaptertype. If you have
| | the meta-data VMDK file the the ddb.adapterType property specifies the
| | adaptertype. The default adaptertype is "lsilogic" which is SCSI.

| |

| | | In the document https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide
| | | under the 'Get an initial VMDK to work with ',
| |

| | | its said, 'There are a lot of “gotchas” around what VMDK disks work with
| | | OpenStack + vSphere,'.
| |

| | | The appendix section lists one of the gotchas. Are there any more
| | | gotchas?
| |

| | | During our testing, the vmdk instance on boot-up gives a 'Operating
| | | System
| | | not found' error,
| |

| | | I am not sure whether this is a already known issue or not.
| |

| | | Thanks in advance!
| |

| | | Best regards,
| |

| | | Jason
| |

| |

| | | OpenStack-***@lists.openstack.org
| |

Jason Zhang
2013-09-27 00:48:10 UTC
Dear Vui,

Thank you very much for your information.
Post by Vui Chiap Lam
VMware nova driver, you need to convert the vmdk to a thin or
preallocated disk.

We tested it based on your information by using the ide.
The preallocated option works. Thin didn't work, any idea?
Post by Vui Chiap Lam
- vmkfstools.pl referenced in the DeveloperGuide Appendix
- vmkfstools directly if you can ssh into an ESX machine
The above 2 didn't work.
Post by Vui Chiap Lam
- vmware-vdiskmanager (comes bundled with VMware Fusion or VMware Workstation)
(e.g. '/Applications/VMware
Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager' -r >
our_sparse_ide.vmdk -t 4 converted.vmdk

This works for pre-allocated.

Is there an option to reduce the disk size of the converted vmdk?

We were using vmware-vdiskmanager -r <source.vmdk> -t 0 <target.vmdk> to
reduced the disk size but it didn't work, OS couldn't be booted.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Jason
Vui Chiap Lam
2013-09-27 01:18:56 UTC
Hi Jason,

Comments inlined. If it helps, I can also work with you off-list via email to
help resolve the issues you have.

Thanks,
Vui

| Thank you very much for your information.

| > After obtaining a sparse ide vmdk from "qemu-img convert", due to a bug in
| > the
| > VMware nova driver, you need to convert the vmdk to a thin or preallocated
| > disk.

| We tested it based on your information by using the ide.
| The preallocated option works. Thin didn't work, any idea?

Can you give more details about what you did and what did not work? Was it the
conversion to a thin disk that failed, or the usage of of the converted disk?

| > You can do this one of the following tools:
| > - vmkfstools.pl referenced in the DeveloperGuide Appendix
| > - vmkfstools directly if you can ssh into an ESX machine

| The above 2 didn't work.

Same here. Can you provide more details? Were you not able to set up or get to
an environment to run these tools, or did they not produce a converted disk,
or did not produce one that works with nova?

| > - vmware-vdiskmanager (comes bundled with VMware Fusion or VMware
| > Workstation)
| > (e.g. '/Applications/VMware
| > Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager' -r > our_sparse_ide.vmdk
| > -t 4 converted.vmdk

| This works for pre-allocated.

| Is there an option to reduce the disk size of the converted vmdk?

| We were using vmware-vdiskmanager -r <source.vmdk> -t 0 <target.vmdk> to
| reduced the disk size but it didn't work, OS couldn't be booted.

-t 0 produces a monosparse format that is not compatible with ESX.

As for the reduction of disk size, not at the moment, although currently two issues related to https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/1215146 are being looked into:
1. reduce disk usage on ESX datastore by restoring the thin-provisioned-ness of a thin disk.
2. minimize glance <-> nova network traffic when transferring thin provisioned disk.

that hopefully will address this issue soon.

| Thanks in advance!

| Best regards,

| Jason

| On 9/16/13 1:13 AM, Vui Chiap Lam wrote:

| | Hi Jason,
|

| | What happens if you forgo the converting to lsilogic, and instead upload
| | the
| | disk to glance as an ide disk (using --property vmware_adaptertype=ide)?
|

| | Also, just reiterating the docs and Dan's comments,
|

| | After obtaining a sparse ide vmdk from "qemu-img convert", due to a bug in
| | the VMware nova driver, you need to convert the vmdk to a thin or
| | preallocated disk.
|
| | You can do this one of the following tools:
|
| | - vmkfstools.pl referenced in the DeveloperGuide Appendix
|
| | - vmkfstools directly if you can ssh into an ESX machine
|
| | - vmware-vdiskmanager (comes bundled with VMware Fusion or VMware
| | Workstation)
|
| | (e.g. '/Applications/VMware
| | Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager'
| | -r our_sparse_ide.vmdk -t 4 converted.vmdk
|
| | After this step you should have a converted .vmdk and a converted
| | -flat.vmdk.
|
| | At this point converted -flat.vmdk (not the descriptor file converted
| | .vmdk)
| | can be uploaded to with --property vmware_adaptertype=ide as an ide image
|

| | If this works, we can worry about converting the disk to SCSI next.
|

| | Regards,
|
| | Vui

| |

| | | <openstack-***@lists.openstack.org>
| |

| | | Sent: Friday, September 13, 2013 4:09:47 PM
| |

| | | Subject: Re: [openstack-dev] How to create vmdk for openstack usage
| |

| | | Hi Dan,
| |

| | | Thank you very much for your reply.
| |

| | | We tested again and it still does not work, can you give more information
| | | about how the vmdk's were created?
| |

| | | I.e the tool used to create the debian and trend vmdk's listed here
| |

| | | https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Glance_Initial_Setup
| |

| | | Using qemu-img convert to convert a qcow2 or raw image to vmdk doesn't
| | | seem
| | | to work, for example, by using
| |

| | | qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O vmdk <input-file.qcow2> <output-file.vmdk>
| |

| | | The command always converts to a vmdk which is of adapter type 'ide'
| | | other
| | | than lsilogic.
| |

| | | We modified the adapter type to lsilogic and uploading it to glance by
| | | using,
| |

| | | glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
| | | --container-format=bare
| | | --is-public=true --property vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic --property
| | | vmware_disktype=thin --property vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest <
| | | output-file.vmdk
| |

| | | or
| |

| | | glance image-create --name=<name> --disk-format=vmdk
| | | --container-format=bare
| | | --is-public=true --property vmware_adaptertype=lsiLogic --property
| | | vmware-disktype="preallocated" --property vmware_disktype=thin --property
| | | vmware_ostype=ubuntu64Guest < output-file.vmdk
| |

| | | doesn't seem to work. Even after tying the steps under
| | | https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/NovaVMware/DeveloperGuide#Appendix
| |

| | | It seems the patch to convert into a scsi disk, has not been merged yet:
| | | https://bugs.launchpad.net/qemu/+bug/545089
| |

| | | Thanks in advance!
| |

| | | Best regards,
| |

| | | Jason
| |

| | | On 9/12/13 12:48 PM, Dan Wendlandt wrote:
| |

| | |
| |

| | |